MHI produces its first industrial chillers in China

CHINA- A joint venture between MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES (MHI) and its partner, the Chinese manufacturer DALIAN REFRIGERATION (DRC), has borne fruit and produced its first centrifugal chiller.The joint venture company unveiled the AART-70R chiller, which has a 700 to 900 tonne capacity, at its new 12,000 m² facility in Dalian last week.
MHI BINGSHAN REFRIGERATION (Dalian) Co Ltd was established in November 2013 to produce centrifugal chillers. MHI has a 55% equity stake in MBRD with the remaining 45% stake held by Dalian Refrigeration, China’s largest manufacturer of screw compressor chillers. The new facility was built on Dalian Refrigeration’s existing site and was commissioned in April 2014.
The joint venture has been commissioned to manufacture medium-sized and large-sized centrifugal chillers for MHI and is currently capable of producing 500 units per year. In the future, the JV will now pursue its program of accelerated sales expansion both in China, the world’s largest market for centrifugal chillers, and throughout Asia, based on increased cost competitiveness due to improvements in its production capacity, marketing and service.

Pour célébrer l’achèvement, une cérémonie a eu lieu au siège de la société, en présence de nombreux invités de marque dont M. ZHOU XIAOYU, vice-secrétaire général du gouvernement populaire municipal de Dalian. Les participants de MHI comprenaient M. YUKIO KODAMA, vice-président exécutif et vice-président de la division machinerie, équipements et infrastructures ainsi que M. KEIICHIRO IWASAKI, vice-président et chef de la direction régionale – Chine, qui est en même temps président de MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES (CHINA) Co., Ltd.

To mark the achievement, a ceremony was held at the company’s headquarters today in the presence of many dignitaries including Mr. Zhou XIAOYU, Vice Secretary General of the Dalian Municipal People’s Government. Among the attendees from MHI were Yukio KODAMA, Executive Vice President and Vice President of the Machinery, Equipment and Infrastructure divisions and also Mr. Keiichiro Iwasaki, Senior Vice President and Chief Regional Officer for China, and who also serves as President of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (CHINA) Co., Ltd.

Local marketing and servicing of centrifugal chillers manufactured by MBRD will be carried out by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Air Conditioning (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. (MHIAS), a group company that oversees MHI’s air conditioning systems and refrigeration activities in China. MHIAS will continue its centrifugal chillers sales expansion through its sales network across China. The chillers will be marketed in Southeast Asia and other regions bordering China. Consequently, MBRD is well positioned to become a sourcing base with the necessary production and supply capacities to meet the needs of the global market.

DRC is an affiliate of the Dalian Bingshan Group Co., Ltd., a supplier of air-conditioning and refrigeration systems and equipment. DRC accounts for the top share of the Chinese market in screw compressors, and it also offers a range of industrial refrigeration systems and other products.

MHI’s centrifugal chillers deliver the world’s highest levels of refrigeration efficiency and environmental performance – features that have enabled the company to capture a 60% share of the Japanese market. Through MBRD, MHI now looks to establish globally optimized production and parts supply structures for its centrifugal chillers as a way of enhancing their competitiveness in their drive to further increase the company’s share of the world market.